Obamacare, also known as the federal Affordable Care Act of 2014 (ACA) was signed into law by President Barack Obama in 2010. It is a wide-reaching law that does many things in terms of health care, but most significantly it helps and protects consumers with pre-existing medical conditions to be able to acquire insurance policies from various insurance companies; it requires the citizens and legal residents of the US to have health insurance or else they’ll pay a tax penalty; it allows the states to widen their coverage for Medicaid; it helps create affordable health insurance FL; and it helps establish new source of budget for public health and prevention.
What you should know about Obama Care.
- You are required by law to acquire health insurance, unless you are eligible for an exemption. The Affordable Care Act requires you to sign up for obama care in Florida unless you are qualified for any exemption. Whether you have health coverage or you are exempted, you are required to report this when you file your taxes in April; having no coverage and being not qualified for exemption is grounds for tax penalties.
- The open enrollment for 2015 has already ended, however you can still get Obamacare if you are eligible for a special enrollment period. This year, the open enrollment period was only until the 15th of February. This implies that, unless you are eligible for an exemption, you won’t be able to obtain health insurance from HealthCare.gov until the 15th of October which is the next open enrollment period.
How to Enroll for Obamacare in Florida
The easiest and most convenient way of enrolling for a health insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act is to seek help from the online health insurance marketplace in Florida. If you aren’t ready to enroll now, you may get more information on the web, over the phone, or get assistance in person.
Where is the Florida Health Care Market?
The health insurance exchange in Florida is HealthCare.gov. This is the place where you will be able to learn about different health insurance options, as well as the cheapest health insurance in Florida available under Obamacare. If you are interested in a particular plan, you will be assisted through the enrolment process online.
Although you won’t be able to read Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act when you visit the website, it is rest assured that you have gone to the right place. The exchange website was established primarily for the purpose of providing information to the consumers about the Affordable Care Act and providing insurance plans that are under the law.
Get Assistance with Enrollment in Person
In Florida, if you need assistance in understanding the various options for insurance coverage that is under the Affordable Care Act or enrolling for a plan, you may get free assistance from certified application counselor.
According to the United Sates Department of Health and Human Services, these certified application counselors will be able to give you unbiased information about health insurance, the new Health Insurance Marketplace, eligible health plans, and public programs like Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
It is important to note that they aren’t allowed to choose or recommend a plan for you. Instead, they will be able to lay down your options, answer you queries, and help you sign up for the plan you decide on acquiring.
Private insurance agents or brokers can also give assistance in understanding the health care coverage options that are under Obamacare. Unlike the certified application counselors, they are allowed to recommend the best plan for you.
Documents to Have On Hand for Signing up with Obamacare
- Social Security Numbers. This is required for you, as well as other members of your household who will be covered by your chosen health insurance policy under the Affordable Care Act.
- Policy Numbers. This is required for those who have currently existing health insurance plans.
- Documents to Support Income Generation. You are required to provide documents that would help in the computation of your yearly income. This income would include all sources including your current employment, pensions, alimony, rental property, and other more. If you are currently employed, you need to gather your play slips or W-2 forms. If you are self-employed, on the other hand, your previous year’s tax returns are required, as well as other supporting documents that could help in estimating your annual income.
- Employer Coverage Tool. This is requested for those who are qualified for job-based health insurance.
- Budget Plan. When enrolling for Obamacare, it is vital that you have a good idea of how much you are willing to spend for a health insurance. Therefore, you should have a general idea of how much you can afford to forego monthly as this will help you in deciding which is the best plan you should choose from among those that are laid down for you.